21 May 2008

quickie

So I think I've learned that one guy, who I thought was as good a server as me, could use some pointers.  I was helping him with a large table Sunday evening and you could tell straight away it was a 'different' table in that they weren't related or celebrating anything.  Turns out they were a group of self-proclaimed 'intellectuals' and were a book club. 

They were discussing Mark Twain's The Tragedy of Puddin'Head Wilson

I've never read it. He never read it. This server (it became apparent) hasn't much knowledge of the Civil War, at least not as much as these people. Yet he made it his business to discuss with these people. Some seemed a little annoyed, others indulged him. 

Perhaps, I thought to myself, this is one of the reasons he complains night after night about low tips and two tops the rest of us aren't. 

On another note, just saw this post on how a German restaurant is now "waiterless". They're coming to America.

No comments: